Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A New Ride

Exciting news! I bought a new car today! The Buick wasn't serving us well anymore, and it was time for something a little roomier and sturdier. So I bought a new 2009 Toyota RAV 4. I am soooooo happy to have a Toyota again, as I always missed my Corolla more than I thought I would. To be in a reliable car is a burden off of my mind. I got to negotiate a bit, and the experience overall was excellent at our local Toyota dealership.

I had been thinking I would get a blue RAV 4, but this morning while I was dressing Katie, I asked her if I should buy a red one or a blue one---and she picked red. I had secretly wanted red in my fantasies, but I thought I should be more conservative. However, when I got to the dealership and saw this one...well, it was magnetism at first sight. Then I tested it, and I just love the way it handles.



I am so excited! This is the first new car I have ever owned. I love how it will represent my next decade or so, my 30s (I turn 30 in a couple of months). It's a "mom" car that can hold strollers, kids, groceries, and Christmas trees. It will probably even last through taking Katie's dorm stuff up to college, since my mileage per year is so low. I love it, love it, love it! I've never really been into cars---either what they are, or what they look like. I've only ever just cared that they transport properly and are safe. But for the first time, I am letting myself take pleasure in a car and realizing that such delight isn't all bad. Yes, I am worried about being too materialistic, but as long as I keep it all in the proper perspective, it's okay. I think the key in life is to take joy out of your things, while realizing that they are all transitory and not essential to the spirit. Our things can be a reflection of who we are, but they don't give us character. I am having fun with this car because I think aspects of it accurately reflect my personality (like wearing clothes), but it doesn't create my personality.

And I am loving the red!!! As long as we're putting the money into it, why not have fun with my fantasy color?

I can't wait to drive it more tomorrow!!!! FUN!